This Thanksgiving weekend, instead of braving the shopping crowds Jesse and I head for the mountains and the Apple Butter Festival in Oak Glen, CA. It was held on the Los Rios Ranchos Apple Farm. Apple butter was never one of those things I ever tried when we were in school in Pennsylvania but I thought it would be interesting to visit an apple farm. It was great! I felt like we were back east. Jesse and I plan to go back next year when apples are in season to pick our own.
The reason the apple butter festival is at the end of the apple season is because that's when they use the old, left over apples to make the apple butter. Apple butter actually has no butter in it. It's just cored and peeled apples with apple cider, cooked to a saucy consistency. It's called apple butter because people "back in the day" used it in place of butter. It was kinda cool, they had some good homemade food, hay rides, a great selection of apples and demonstrations for apple butter and apple cider making. We highly recommend it!
Here's Jesse trying his hand at making the apple butter. It's important to stir it constantly so it doesn't boil and burn.


1 comment:
glad you had a good time. too bad i missed hanging out with you this past week.
Post a Comment